Get Connected With Us

Sike’s Story

It all started on the 29th of September 2011. I was on the night shift at work and I started having pains. I could not sit nor continue working. I was worried. My supervisor took me downstairs to the Labor and Delivery department. They could not figure out why I was having abdominal pain. At this time my husband got on the phone and prayed with me. I’ve never been pregnant, so I didn’t know what to expect. Initially the doctors assured me the baby was fine and that I would go home. Later on, I started bleeding. When my Dr. checked me, I was 5cm dilated. The hospital wasn’t equipped for this traumatic event, so I had to be flown on a helicopter with my OBGYN to a more equipped hospital because they thought I would have the baby on the helicopter, while Oyen had to drive the distance.

Arriving at Seton main, the doctors tried to slow down the delivery because the more the baby stays in the womb, the better chance of survival. But in a few hours, the contractions increased and I was informed that Sike was arriving. We had to brace up for the worse but the doctors promised to do their best to ensure I and Sike survived.

The baby came out crying, and weighing 1lb 7oz. Even at this time, we were not sure she would survive because it was very critical. She had such tiny veins that kept blowing up and she wasn’t getting her nutrient. In the middle of the night, we had to give our consent for her to be transferred to Dell Children’s Medical Center for a broviac line placement. Sike stayed in the NICU for 4 and half months during which she had to battle between life and death on several occasions. The most severe was when she contracted RSV. It was so critical that she was placed on an oscillator ventilator. She was given Vecuronium and Synagis. The illness grew worse and ECMO (Extracorporeal Membrane Oxygenation) was considered for her. On the 7th of January we were called to come see her immediately as she might not make it through the day.

To God be the glory, she made it. And today, she’s alive and well . She’s passed all her mile stones. She opened our eyes to what other families are going through especially in developing countries where medical system is nothing to be proud of.

Where a child is born should not determine if they live or not, even though in our case it was different.